Long Hair Lab HackPosted: March 26, 2014
At the end of my recent glove post I mentioned that I wear my hair down in the lab, and was admonished for doing this (and rightly so). My reason for wearing my hair down to work is pure vanity, I prefer the way I look with my hair down and I’ve also found that wearing my hair in a ponytail all the time leads to a lot of breakages where the elastic goes which makes my hair look quite yuk.
But, what I didn’t mention earlier is that when I am doing ‘wet chemistry’ type activities in the lab I usually do have my hair secured away from my face. I want to share the way that I do this in case there are any other long-haired lab lubbers out there who have the same problems as me, like:
- Not carrying hair ties
- Not wanting to use rubber bands
- Generic laziness
- Extreme vanity
OK so here goes. How to secure your hair away from your face with a pen (or pipette):
- Using both hands, sweep your hair into a ponytail
- Keeping the ponytail straight, twist the entire ponytail very tightly (but not so tight that it kinks back on itself) in a clockwise direction
- Coil the twisted ponytail around itself, starting at the base, to form a bun and hold the end with your left hand
- With your right hand, grab a pen and with the pointy end skewer the bun. Start by incorporating some of the non-bun hair (see pic) and push/weave through so you skewer both ‘sides’ of the bun ring. Using some non-bun hair is important as this will help it be weighted correctly and stay secure for longer.
I have used the (clean and disposable!) pipette here mainly to illustrate this point. It’s too long to actually be practical. I find a pen is the perfect length and it’s pretty much hidden when done correctly – see pic at the bottom.
- Instructions are for a rightie, if you’re a leftie do it in reverse I guess
- Your hair needs to be past shoulder length for this to work
- Make sure if you use a pen, that the tip is pointing upwards. If it’s pointing downwards you may end up drawing all over the back of your shirt (yes, I learned this the hard way).
- I suspect this might not work with super straight or fine hair.
Flawless execution of pen hair using this pen.
Let me know if you have any lab hair hacks!